Cognitive Stimulation Therapy is a therapeutic procedure using magnets or electrodes on the scalp or the brain in treating severe mental disorders that do not respond to other strategies or even medication. The various types of Cognitive Stimulation Therapy include vagus nerve stimulation (VNS), electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), magnetic seizure therapy (MST), repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS), and deep brain stimulation (DBS).
Amongst all these procedures, ECT is the oldest procedure. Other Cognitive Stimulation Therapies include interventions that are used to cure other mental disorders. Some new therapies have been developed, but they require more research efforts to determine their effectiveness and safety in treating mental diseases.
Usage of Cognitive Stimulation Therapy
Best psychiatrists in India use ECT to treat severe depression. Also, to treat depression in conjunction with psychosis that does not typically respond well to medication. They use it on patients who have schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Psychiatrists and Therapists in Chennai, India, generally use VNS to treat patients with symptoms of epilepsy and other conditions that do not respond to medication. While therapists initially developed DBS to manage the physical symptoms of Parkinson’s disease, they use it now experimentally used to treat severe depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder.
Expectations from Cognitive Stimulation Therapy
It is a form of Deeply Induced Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Therapists conduct it with much care and control. ECT, for example – a psychiatrist performs it with anaesthesia and assistance from nurses. Before administering the therapy, the patient gets general anaesthesia and muscle relaxing drugs. Then therapists place electrodes on the scalp. And through these electric current moves to the brain, causing short, intentional seizures. ECT is generally given to a patient about three times a week for around 12 times. After the treatment, the patient can leave the recovery room and resume typical day to day activities after about half an hour. There are minimal side effects like short term memory loss that is usually extremely temporary because of refinement in Technology. Follow-up medication and treatment of ECT is also essential.
Much like ECT, Cognitive Stimulation Therapy is also a non-invasive procedure. However, in this process, magnetic impulses to the brain stimulate the cortex without causing seizures. MST, on the other hand, also uses magnetic pulses but causes seizures in the mind. VNS is an invasive procedure. In that surgeon places a device under the skin sends impulses to the brain’s vagus nerve. DBS is also an invasive procedure where the surgeon places and controls the electrodes using a generator on the chest.
Workings of Cognitive Stimulation Therapy
Cognitive Stimulation Therapy causes both functional and chemical changes in the brain. Initially, ECT got a bad reputation as electric shock therapy, but it has been widely refined by therapists practising Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. It is now a beneficial procedure in treating life-threatening mental disorders that may lead to suicide and starvation. Other therapies that are under experimentation may or may not replace ECT in the long run.
Choosing the Right Therapist
There are many things to look for when choosing therapists in India. A cognitive stimulation therapist must be a licensed psychiatrist specialising in neuroscience, electroconvulsive therapy, and other brain stimulation therapies. A clinical psychologist in Chennai, India, generally refers clients to therapists for such treatment after establishing the need for the same.
Psychotherapy with Praveen Saanker
Coaching, Psychotherapy and Counselling services provided by Mr Praveen Saanker are part of our “not-for-profit” activities. We do not charge a consulting fee for these support initiatives since they are meant to provide aid and relief for truly deserving individuals who otherwise may not have been able to afford these services.
Mr Praveen Saanker has set aside 12 hours of his professional time every week to provide coaching and counselling services. Appointments are provided basis the unique needs and circumstances of each individual. Please note that we do not have robust CRM platforms or customer support teams to provide instant answers to your queries or replies to your mails. Hence please bear with us for the time we take to get back to you.
What do we expect from you?
When you decide to get associated with us, we expect you to contribute to society in whatever capacity you can. This may mean you are undertaking voluntary work in your domain of expertise and provide empowerment and support to the needy. This can also mean you are giving help and assistance to people who desperately look forward to your aid when they have no one else who can help them. All we want you to do is give back to the universe and your fellow humans in whichever capacity you can.
We are not a registered charitable organisation, and hence we do not accept financial donations or support items in any form. You can get associated with anyone and choose the path you would like to follow in empowering your fellow human beings. But we would like to hear from you on how you intend to contribute back to society shortly when you choose to avail of our services.
How can you avail of our support?
If you believe you require Mr Praveen Saanker’s support and assistance, you can write to us at email@example.com. Please be rest assured, we shall get back to you and be with you during your testing times in whatever capacity we can.
Mr Praveen, the founder of ‘Vedicology,’ is an internationally renowned scholar on Sanatana Dharma recognised for his knowledge and application of Indian Psychology and Spirituality. He is regarded as an expert on Indian and Western Psychology, Vedic Scriptures, Indian Rites, Rituals, Customs & Traditions, Astrology, Vastu Shastra & Numerology. Aiming to be of the utmost help, Mr Praveen Saanker looks to understand your motivations and aspirations and then provide a solution accordingly. Praveen successfully integrates the principles of Vedas with modern Psychology and Business Management. Mr Praveen Saanker works with family business entrepreneurs and next-generation leaders, advising them on the family constitution and finding a subtle balance between family and business priorities.
- Grief Counselling or Support for Bereavement
- Counselling for Stress or Support for Stress Management
- Counselling for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder or OCD
- Low Self Esteem – Counselling Support
- Self Confidence – Counselling Areas
- Infertility Counselling – Support Areas
- Counselling for HIV Patients
- Gender dysphoria or Gender Identity Disorder – Support Areas
- Counselling Support for Eating Disorders
- Dissociative Disorders – Counselling Support
- Counselling for Persons with Disability
- Counselling for Depression
- Child Counselling for Issues related to Children
- Career Counselling Support
- Counselling For Cancer Patients
- Counselling Support for Victims of Bullying and People who Bully
- Anxiety Issues Counselling Support
- Anger Management – Counselling Support
- Counselling Support for Abuse Victims
- Miscarriage Induced Stress – Counselling Support
- Passive Aggressive Behaviour – Counselling Support
- Spiritual Counselling
- Counselling for Sexuality Issues
- Sexual Problems – Counselling Support
- Self Harm – Counselling Support
- Relationship Counselling
- Pregnancy Counselling
- Work Stress – Counselling Support
Psychotherapy Areas – Information You Need to Know
- What is Emotionally Focussed Therapy?
- What is Culturally Sensitive Therapy?
- Compassion Focused Therapy
- What is Cognitive Stimulation Therapy?
- What’s Cognitive Behavioural Therapy?
- Brain Stimulation Therapy?
- What is Attachment-Based Therapy?
- What is Applied Behaviour Analysis?
- Adlerian Therapy – What is it used For?
- What is Acceptance and Commitment Therapy?
- Reactive Attachment Disorder: How to Deal And The Symptoms
- What is ADHD or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder?
- How to Stop an Addiction with Addiction Counselling?
- What is Transpersonal Therapy – The Meaning and Technique
- What is Structural Family Therapy
- Strength-Based Therapy? When Is It Used?
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy: What is It?
- What is Social Recovery Therapy?
- What is Relational Therapy, and When Is It Used?
- Psychodynamic Therapy? Psychodynamic Therapy Techniques
- Psychoanalytic Therapy Techniques and Definition
- What is Positive Psychology, and What are Positive Psychology Goals?
- What is person-centred Therapy?
- Multicultural Counselling Therapy: What Is Its Importance?
- Motivational Interviewing Techniques: What is It?
- What is Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy?
- What is Mentalisation Based Therapy?
- Marriage and Family Therapy
- Interpersonal Therapy: Goals of Interpersonal Psychotherapy
- Types of Psychotherapy: Internal Family Systems Therapy
- What is Integrative Therapy?
- What is Hypnotherapy?
- Humanistic Therapy and Its benefits
- What is Human Givens Therapy?
- Internal Family Systems Therapy: What is It?
- What is Experiential Therapy?
- What is Existential Therapy?